Patchworks: A tale of Rubber Tapping

I have enjoyed listening to stories ever since I was young. These stories, especially those of the past that are foreign to me, never fail to pique my interest. I get blown away by how storytellers bring their stories to life – the sparkle in their eyes as they unravel their plots, their animated hand gestures, and undulating tones. They are nothing short of amazing.

The love for such tales has led me to Ayer Rajah Daycare Centre, where I had the privilege to listen to Madam Tan Kwee Eng’s life story. I basked in excitement and anticipation as I waited patiently for her to reveal the intrinsic details of her eventful life.

Many events and experiences Madam Tan shared with us, but there was one area in her life that particularly grabbed my attention: Her first job as a rubber tapper.


Rubber Tapping - Image from the National Archives


In the early 19th century, there was a shift in focus from agriculture to manufacturing in Malaya. Malaya became one of the biggest exporters of rubber in the world, producing other raw materials such as palm oil and tin as well. This is due to the surge in demand for raw materials, which is essential for manufacturing industries in the West (For example, the mass production of automobiles which requires rubber for rubber tires). Hence being in the rubber tapping profession, Madam Tan was part of this move to push the economy to greater heights.

Madam Tan remembered the days when she had to be awake at 4A.M and set off for work, while most people were still in bed. She braved through the pebbled roads, the darkness, and of course the possible dangers she may face, being a young girl, travelling alone. Imagine how horrifying it must have been for her! I cringe at the thought of ever having to experience this.

Upon reaching the rubber plantation, Madam Tan started working on the trees assigned to her. With deft hands and steady skills to boot, Madam Tan was one of the conscientious rubber tappers who collected a good amount of latex by the end of the day. She used a tapping knife, specially designed to excise thin layers of bark. Before the tapping knife was invented, a small hatchet was used to tap rubber. http://www.malaysiaflora.com/Articles/tabid/55/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/13/A-Brief-History-on-Rubber-Tapping-in-Malaysia.aspx

As Madam Tan dwelled deeper into the minute details of rubber tapping, it dawned upon me that rubber tapping is an art. It requires patience and concentration. If the rubber tapper shears the bark too deeply, the tree would be damaged. On the other hand, if sheared too lightly, the latex would not flow out of the tree. This serves as a gentle reminder for me that in life, there have to be a balance of everything. Too much or too little of something would not benefit one in the long run.

Having heard about the fascinating details of the art of rubber tapping, I am inspired to learn more about this profession. Being a city dweller all my life, sheepishly, I have to admit that what Madam Tan shared was rather to new to me. Indeed, I have much to learn about things and places that stretch beyond the parameters of city life.

This sharing session has certainly been an enjoyable and enriching experience for me, and I hope it would be for you too when you read more about it in the Patchwork of Reminiscences.

Cross-posted from Yesterday.sg on 26th July 2009.
http://yesterday.sg/2009/07/por-a-tale-of-rubber-tapping/
0 Responses